BIRMINGHAM OPEN STUDIOS 2019 HAS GROWN TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING DISTRICTS: MOSELEY, KINGS HEATH, BALSALL HEATH, STIRCHLEY, SELLY OAK, SELLY PARK, BOURNVILLE, COTTERIDGE AND HALL GREEN
THIS YEAR’S EVENT WILL TAKE PLACE ON WEEKENDS OF 5/6TH AND 12/13TH OCTOBER
Now in its 3rd year, Birmingham Open Studios is continuing to grow. Run by ArtsBrum, the concept allows artists of all standards to display their craft in their own homes or working studios. All artists are welcome, whether they are seasoned professionals or just starting out.
The public can view all of the artist’s work – for free – in the artist’s creative environment, giving you an insight into their lives and creative processes
Public visits, purchases, praise and commissions give artists a reason to keep creating, and Open Studios means they do not have to pay sky-high commission rates to galleries on sales, instead keeping the earnings themselves. Our ethos is to promote creativity in the area, with a focus on community cohesion.
Have a question? Read our FAQs here
To learn about our roots, ethos and vision, you can download our Birmingham Open Studios Manifesto here
Below are some images from previous years
What is Birmingham Open Studios?
- Open Studios is a concept that allow artists to display and sell their art from their own home or studio. It allows the artist to display as much work as they wish, without having to pay the mad prices for expensive gallery wall space, or commissions per sale
- Art lovers can visit the artist’s residence over the course of 2 weekends and are invited in to meet the artist, have a cuppa and find out about the artist’s work directly from the artist. It gives a very personal and direct approach that benefits both parties. The public can pick and choose which artists to visit and in any order they like. The event is free and family-friendly
- Entry to each studio is free for the public, and the experience of a face-to-face interaction results in a higher chance of sales for the artists
- 2017 saw 29 artists exhibit over 12 locations – as some artists chose to buddy-up, and exhibit at one address. In 2018 membership doubled to 57 artists over 29 locations. We are aiming for 100 artists in 2019, as we expand geographically
- The average artist last year took 5 times their participation fee over the course of the event, with the best performing artist taking 20x their investment in a single day!
- Last year’s participating artists are still currently receiving new commissions, as a direct result from last year’s event
- The concept has existed for decades in cities from Cambridge to New York. Brighton has been running the very successful ‘Open Houses’ event for years, and the Jewellery Quarter also runs a similar event in the summer
- Dates for 2019 are 5/6th and 12/13 October (all from 11am-5pm). Artists do not have to exhibit each date
- It has worked so well in other cities, because of the personal, face-to-face ‘human’ element. It is much easier to encapsulate what an artist’s ethos and thought process is, when the artists explains it themselves, and the event can give an insight into their art in general.
How to get involved?
- If you are an artist, to get involved you must fill in the registration form at the bottom/right of this page.
- Membership fee has been set for £42 for 2019, regardless if you are sharing a space with another artist or not
Where does my membership money go?
- Thousands of maps/programmes printed and distributed for event with individual artists profiles, including bio and examples of work for the public to pick up and discover your art, plus an online profile on our website
- Money spent on thousands of fliers and leaflets to approach artists and public
- Local media coverage (local magazines, press, Made In Birmingham TV)
- Large banners
- Newspaper/magazine adverts
- Regular boosted social media campaigns
- Website profile with interactive map
- Poster and balloons for your home to put in window, for visitors to easily recognise from a distance
- The sort of recognition you may not usually receive from local art lovers
PLEASE KEEP RETURNING FOR FURTHER UPDATES and CONTACT US with any questions